I probably rely a little too heavily on my smartphone. As many of us can attest, they are used for way more than making phone calls these days. I know mine regularly serves as a pocket-sized computer for looking up information, a handheld gaming and entertainment device, and even a navigation system for car rides to new places. (And since I am new to the ATL, my GPS feature is used more frequently than ever!)
Another cool thing about these technological times we’re living in is how many apps are created with location-based audiences in mind. In fact, there are several that are designed specifically for Atlanta residents. Here are a few I’ve come across since taking up residence in Dogwood City:
- MARTA on the Go. This tool will help users find up-to-date Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority (MARTA) information, including schedules and route maps.
- Atlanta Baseball. Are you a diehard Braves fan? This app will keep you updated on the team’s latest scores and news.
- Falcons Mobile. Those rooting for a Falcons Super Bowl win will love having team updates sent straight to their mobile device.
- InstaCart. This service delivers groceries to those whose refrigerator may be a little bare, but don’t have time to make a trip to the supermarket.
- WSB Traffic. I don’t know anyone who doesn’t absolutely hate sitting in the middle of a traffic jam. This app from Action News 2 will help you find the best way to get from A to B.
- AJC.com. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution has a mobile news app that will keep you informed of the latest headlines when you’re on the go.
- Fox 5 Storm Team. View current weather predictions as well as extended forecasts with this local weather tool.
- Atlanta XPLRR. This app will ensure that locals and visitors alike never run out of fun things to do in the A.
- Atlanta Channel. Visitors and city newbies can learn all about the exciting and entertaining attractions and activities Atlanta has to offer.
Do you use a handy Atlanta app that I’ve left off of this list? Please let me know, and I can share it with other Atlantans in a future post!